I have been spending the evening building new VM’s for testing. I am not a big fan as I like to test on real hardware.
I found on Windows 8, I was not able to use my license key (not OEM) which I purchased when Windows 8 first arrived at Amazon. It reported my key was invalid.
I found the steps to fix this on Google so I decided to add the instructions here.
- Go to Desktop.
- Right click on the task bar near the start button and select Task Manager.
- Click File, Run New Task.
- Type CMD and press enter.
- From the command prompt, do the following…
- CD /
- cd Users
- cd <your user name>
- cd desktop
- copy con cmd.bat
- now type the following “cmd.exe” (no quotes) and press enter. Now pres CTL+Z and hit return.
- From the desktop, right click cmd.bat and select “Run as administrator”
- From the new command prompt enter command: Regedit
- Move to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
- Find entry “MediaBootInstall”, double click and change the value from 1 to 0.
- Back at the command prompt, enter command: slmgr /rearm
- Open the command prompt again as administrator (see 6).
- Now enter command: slui.exe 3
- Enter your license key and activate.